Re: Providing an easy additional way of avoiding uploading non-redistributable packages

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 01:09:26AM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 08:57:48PM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:

> > > Fine with me.
> >
> > Patch for this attached (went with 'distributable', does that mean
> > something else? ...)
> >
> > Using PKG_SKIP_REASON instead of FAIL.
>
> I still maintain that this is wrong. It solves a problem that only exist
> by not using the tools that already exist. It also has side effects that
> are not desirable for a bulk build.

As I understand, the packages that use NO_BIN_ON_FTP are packages like
meta-pkg/bulk-small. I don't think a package using only BUILD_DEPENDS
is a big user of disk space, so it isn't worthwhile to keep this logic
for it.

It makes it easier for people that don't use the canonical upload script
which has poor discoverability and assumes the setup is that the machine
from which the uploads are done is the same one as the one doing the
bulk-building.

After talking to 2 other people who had re-implemented what this script
does (after being pinged by admins for uploading bad packages,
probably).
This played a role in the fact I gave up on bulk building. I had done it
semi-manually and it was a lot of trouble.