Re: Letting gtk3 depend on adwaita-icon-theme

voidpin <voidpin%protonmail.com@localhost> writes:

>>So you are saying that many gk3-using applications work totally fine
>>when there is no icon-theme package at all installed?
> Yes and no, you do need an icon-theme but, it doesn't have to be adwaita.
> Here's what I have,
> ==========
> $ ls -lp /usr/pkg/share/icons/
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel  512 Feb  3 09:27 HighContrast/
> drwxr-xr-x  13 pin   wheel  512 Feb 15 17:33 Orange-Aurora/
> drwxr-xr-x  17 root  wheel  512 Feb 16 19:46 hicolor/
> ==========

Not yes at all; the question was "do they work totally fine when there
is no icon theme as all", and you said "you need an icon-theme but it
doesn't have to be adwaita".

So we seem to have agreement on:

  Many things that use gtk3 do not work right if there are *no* icon
  theme packages installed, but (probably) no particular theme is
  needed.

and from that we have a proposed plan:

  0) Decide that having gtk3-using programs that need an icon them not
  depend on one is bad for users.

  1) Pick adwaita-icon-theme as the standard approach to gtk3 icon themes,
  because there aren't compelling reasons for most choices, and we think
  that is is the most likely to be universally satisfactory.

  2) Somehow ensure that gtk3-using programs depend on not only gtk3 but
  also on adwaita-icon-theme, at least in the normal case.

  3) For any gtk3-using program that is not ok with only
  adwaita-icon-theme and that needs something else, add the other thing
  as an explicit dependency.  We expect this will be very few packages.

So, does anyone want to challenge point 1, by proposing an alternate
plan of which one to depend on, or proposing that it be a
package-by-package choice, and to explain why that plan is better than
the "just depend on adwaita" plan?

Point 2 is simply implementing point 1, and it's not clear how, but
let's take this one step at a time.

Does anyone disagree with point 3?