Re: Asterisk package naming

On 2018-08-02 06:51 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> D'Arcy Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>> comms/asterisk
>> comms/asterisk13
>> comms/asterisk14
>> comms/asterisk15
>
> True.  We also try not to rototill PKGPATH, because that causes trouble
> (maybe for others, not you this time :-).  I have consistently asked
> that packages be either single or all-versioned, with a very low rate of
> changing back to single (because needing multiple is a long term stable
> condition of an upstream...).  But some of this is very very old, and
> it's unavoidably messy.

Hopefully once asterisk is gone we won't re-use the name.

>> So if my script tries to install asterisk13 it installs asterisk and it
>> keeps trying to install asterisk13.  If it tries asterisk then I install
>> an ancient version.
>
> Why are you using PKGNAME rather than PKGPATH as the canonical list for

Because pkg_info gives me the names, not the paths.  Is there another
tool that can return, for example, devel/gmake instead of gmake-4.1nb4?

> the script?  Or, why if you want to use PKGNAME, don't you build an
> index from PKGPATH to PKGNAME, and find the best match?  Or just add a
> table that maps the name to the version?  You have to choose between
> 11/13/14/15 somehow, and this really does not seem like a big deal.

Perhaps I haven't made it clear.  I am using this process to build many
packages on one server to distribute across the rest of my network.
Each server has its own file of packages that it wants which are
gathered up by the build server, sort -u run on it and that is the file
that is used in my chroot jail to build everything.  If this was just
for asterisk or for a few packages it would be simple but I am trying to
automate a larger system.

Yes, I already handle versioning for other packages.  For example, I
currently build Python 3.6 so my script and /etc/mk set Python variables
to "36".  However, the package gets installed as python36-x.x.x so there
is no loop.  Asterisk is different in that the different versions get
installed as asterisk and there is also a package called asterisk.

> We do not generally have meta packages to switch between multiple
> versions, and I think they are more clutter than they help.

There probably aren't that many packages that could use something like
this.  Offhand I can think of PostgreSQL, Python, Asterisk, Ruby and PHP
from all of the packages that I install.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost