Re: Asterisk package naming

On 2018-08-01 12:51 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> It is very normal to have
>
>   category/foo1
>   category/foo2
>   category/foo3
>
> that all install the foo package of varying versions, with things named
> foo, such that you can only install one of them.

I have no problem with that scenario.  My problem is that asterisk does
not match that pattern.

comms/asterisk
comms/asterisk13
comms/asterisk14
comms/asterisk15

So if my script tries to install asterisk13 it installs asterisk and it
keeps trying to install asterisk13.  If it tries asterisk then I install
an ancient version.

If it matched your patter then comms/asterisk wouldn't exist and my
script can try to install it and report the error.  I see the error,
realize what the problem is and can install asterisk13 manually.  At
that point asterisk is installed and everything looks good.  It's still
manual but nothing gets installed by accident and all the required
packages are satisfied.

I understand that comms/asterisk will soon be removed so I will get that
situation soon.  Meanwhile, I still think that a meta package for
comms/asterisk that figures out which real package to depend on makes sense.

> I think the problem is that you are making an assumption that you can go
> from a package name to a directory.   But, it may be that pkg_info -B is
> useful, as you can get at PKG_PATH.

No, I just expect to be able to specify a list of packages that I want
to install and not have to choose between installing the wrong version
by accident or going into an infinite loop trying to install a package
that is already installed.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost