Re: Why do we need Python sub-modules?

Am Mon, 1 Jan 2018 22:44:11 +0100
schrieb Adam <adam%netbsd.org@localhost>:

> I propose we enable back at least some of the modules, like those
> that do not require too many dependencies (I would keep 'tkinter' in
> py-Tk, for example). That would keep Python as standard as possible.

It's been a while since you asked this, but I am all for reducing
complexity. If things got subsumed into standard modules for both
python2 and 3 and are stable there, I would like not having to think
about separate packages. And it reduces hackery to disable them in the
python package, perhaps. The complication I see is that things need to
be symmetric between python versions, as long as we support 2.x and 3.x
versions at the same time. At least I have my build script try to build
both 2.7 and 3.6 versions of all modules.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis