Re: Can we make gfortran the default Fortran?

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 03:14:11PM -0600, Jason Bacon wrote:
>  > On 01/01/18 14:50, David Holland wrote:
>  > > On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 09:36:20PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>  > >   > > The big issue is libstdc++, not libgcc.
>  > >   >
>  > >   > In the case of g95, the problem is actually libgcc_s.
>  > >
>  > > So what's the solution then? An ELF binary linked against two
>  > > incompatible versions of shared libgcc will never fully work.
>  >
>  > This seems to lead us back to "build everything with the same compiler
>  > suite" if possible.
>
> ...everything including all of base, and particularly libc...

See the "Specific constraints and requirements" section at

  https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/gcc/

which is a distillation of previous lengthy discussions.

It allows C libaries built with an older compiler to be used in programs
linked with a a newer compiler.  That is generally thought to work ok.
I am not aware of C++ libraries in base used by packages.  If so (and
someone please explain clearly what they are), pkgsrc should probably be
marked to PREFER_PKGSRC for them.

In the end the only 100% ok solution to the version issues is for
anybody running NetBSD 6 or 7 to update to NetBSD 8 (or to pull up gcc 5
to NetBSD 6, which rightfully isn't going to happen).  So we have to
realize we are talking about the best path forward in a situation which
is perhaps formally intractable.