Re: pkgsrc gcc discussion #3874

On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 05:09:46PM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
 > Never mind the above, GCC_REQD in buildlink3.mk files does the right
 > thing. (Why were we saying it doesn't??)

Because all libraries linked together in a single executable have to
use on the same libstdc++, regardless of their dependence
relationships.

That is, for

   libfoo.so               libbar.so
   (from package foo)      (from package bar)
          \                   /
             application baz
             (from package baz)

Putting stuff in bar's bl3 file won't affect the build of libfoo.so,
but they all need to use the same gcc. Either it needs to be a global
setting, which has various disadvantages, or we need a way to discover
while building libfoo that this constraint exists, which is hard.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost