Re: pkgsrc gcc discussion #3874

On 12/30/17 12:30, Greg Troxel wrote:
coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:

- globally use a newer compiler
- use the newest compiler that exists (I recall having a patch for it
   that wasn't well-received because it was too much magic)
Can you comment against the analysis and plan in
   https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/gcc/

this has been pretty confusing and I've tried to distll all the previous
discussion.  We have more or less settled on picking a version for
C, and for C++, and always using those versions.

I think the big question is whether the C version and C++ version have
to match.  Or if it's ok to use e.g. base 4.8 for C and pkgsrc 5 for C++
on NetBSD 7.

But, if it's mostly ok, and we later decide it's not really ok (maybe
when we deal with fortran), that probably won't hurt much, compared to
not starting.
Is there any advantage to using base 4.8 for C besides avoiding the gcc dependency until a C++ package is built?

--
Earth is a beta site.