Re: Enabling PKGSRC_MKPIE by default

John Nemeth <jnemeth%cue.bc.ca@localhost> writes:

>      On a sidenote, is PKGSRC_USE_SSP intended to be a user-settable
> or package-settable variable.  Packages like xenkernel* use it as
> if it is package-settable since there was likely nothing better at
> the time.

It is a user-settable variable.  The package-settable variable is
missing and hence packages abuse the user-settable variable.

I propose the following names for package-settable variables (to be set
to no if the given feature must be disabled for a package to build or
function correctly), following the precedent of MAKE_JOBS_SAFE:

  SSP_SAFE
  FORTIFY_SAFE
  MKPIE_SAFE
  RELRO_SAFE
  STACK_CHECK_SAFE

Of course, packages where these are known to work or there's no reason
to think they don't work won't set the variable.

Any better suggestions for these names?  (I left out PKGSRC_ because
they will only appear in pkgsrc Makefiles.)