Supporting ChromeOS as a Linux variant

Hi!

I am currently toying with using pkgsrc as the package collection on a
Chromebook in Dev Mode. ChromeOS (and the opensource Chromium OS) are
based on Gentoo Linux, however they are special in a few ways, such as
missing components that some software takes for granted on Linux (such
as ACL support, multilib, etc.)

Rather than maintain a set of local patches, I would like to add
support for ChromeOS as some sort of operating system variant in
pkgsrc itself.

I noticed that SunOS derivatives have OS_VARIANT, and that some
package Makefiles change stuff based on that. The Linux platform file
has logic to recognize distros and set LOWER_VENDOR.

Any advice which of the two I should be using? Thoughts?

--Benny.