Re: OS_VARIANT

Le 02/02/16 04:01, Greg Troxel a écrit :

> Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:
>
>> * On 2016-02-01 at 18:36 GMT, Richard PALO wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to propose making OS_VARIANT multi-value.
>>>
>>> In particular this is useful for SunOS where currently only
>>> "SmartOS" and "OmniOS" are listed variants but not "Illumos" as a whole.
>>>
>>> The basis is simple, if ${OS_VERSION} == "5.11" and there is no "Oracle" found
>>> in /etc/release, then the OS_VARIANT would be [initially] "Illumos".
>>>
>>> Subsequently, "SmartOS" and "OmniOS" can tack onto OS_VARIANT with '+=' instead of '='.
>>
>> I don't like the idea of changing the variable type and overloading it
>> with multiple meanings, but I agree we could do with a way to identify
>> the different vendors, so maybe just introduce a new variable like we
>> did with LOWER_VARIANT_VERSION.  Maybe OS_VENDOR?
>
> I agree, more or less.   My big point would be that Someone needs to
> decide if a proper OS_VARIANT is Illumos or if SmartOS and OmniOS are
> proper values.  With the various forking and branding going on, this
> seems more important.
>
> The other logical point is to have a full-blown hierarchy of names, as
> an arbitrary tree, but that seems unwarranted.
>
> Richard: What problem are you trying to solve, and what are the other
> candidate approaches?

Well, in «our» case, perhaps OS_VARIANT should be "illumos"

I see "OmniOS" and "SmartOS" more as OS_DISTRO (or something to that tune)
(If using OS_VENDOR, it would be respectively "Omniti" and "Joyent", I believe)

Actually, looking more closely at the two cases of "OmniOS", I think they are both unnecessary
as readline builtin.mk checks should be sufficient and tcsh should probably have a builtin
check to avoid the type of construction that is used (i.e. not using PREFER_NATIVE+= or equivalent)

Also, many of the "SmartOS" usages, such as replacing '/usr/ccs/bin' with '/usr/bin',
should simply be generalised for "illumos" (if not for all of SunOS 5.1[12])

Thinking a bit further, I wonder if we can't just byte the bullet by folding both
"SmartOS" and "OmniOS" into "illumos" for now.

Otherwise, the risk is probably too much fragmentation.

The next task is merely chucking all the overkill out of mk/tools/tools.SunOS.mk
(such as all the *gnu* biz where I already override the bulk of TOOLS_PLATFORM.*) and
doing the right thing via mk/tools/* and PREFER_NATIVE (if absolutely necessary or wanted).

- --
Richard PALO