Re: Default ABI on Darwin

OpenDarwin dissolved after Apple stopped accepting upstream fixes
from us.  PureDarwin still exists, and is x86/x86_64 still, so if
they are bootstrapping pkgsrc on it, a note should be sufficient
because I don't believe there is that great of a userbase, and the
last OpenDarwin we released was 7 which... was a long time ago.

However, keep in mind that a lot of core2 Macbooks exist out there
forever trapped in 32bit and 10.6 (I have 2).  So breaking pkgsrc
on it would kinda suck.  Now that Taylor has DRMKMS in -7, it might
make it worthy for bringing up NetBSD on it with accelerated i950.

Because pkgsrc is so tied to NetBSD (and should be), I would like
to make sure that it maintains the ability to run on older hardware
that NetBSD still supports... without surprising the user.

Finally, yes we support ppc64, which is forever trapped at 10.5 I
think.  The G5 support isn't solid from what I remember, and could
use some work.  I have 2 G5 Xserves sitting at a friend's place
waiting to ship to me whenever I settle down.

My $0.02.

--
William J. Coldwell ARIN:WC25 PGP:0x5E994445  @Cryo +Cryo Cryonator
warped inc  warped.com 661-WARPED1 @warped @deadjournal @tapnet_app