Re: MESSAGE considered harmful

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> writes:

> On 30 January 2015 at 16:40, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 04:34:31PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>>> 3) I'm looking for useful information to give me a headstart on
>>> using/configuring, possibly specific to my platform
>>>
>>> I'd actually be inclined to reclassify MESSAGE as type '3)', and do
>>> not show it by default on install. Its available from pkg_info.
>>
>> But if that's the information we want to offer, why not put it in a
>> default location, e.g. share/doc/${PKGNAME}/README.pkgsrc, instead, so
>> everyone knows where to look for it and it's not just lost in the
>> noise during installation?
>
> That is similar to what I suggested - we both want it out of the
> install noise, but I'm suggesting have it as pkg metadata so a
> 'pkg_info' will show it rather than a standard per package location
> under PREFIX. I would not be unhappy with your option though :)

I can see David's point, but I think the canonical thing for someone to
do is read everything under share/doc/${PKGNAME}.  So we can declare
README.pkgsrc under that to be a top-level hints file, and make pkg_info
be able to show that, but I don't think that will help that many people.
We could also make a MESSAGE file by default be installed into that
location, as a transition mechanism.

Separately, I'd be inclined to just delete most MESSAGE files,
especially the ones that say "foo has been installed.  read the
documentation".  That is after all the expected outcome of "pkg_add
foo"...