MESSAGE considered harmful

I think we have a vast overuse of MESSAGE.  Many package semm to have
instructions to the user, but these are really just the README for the
package, and I think should be in ${PREFIX}/share/doc/pkgname/README.txt
instead.  MESSAGES is a magic location that doesn't show up in "pkg_info
-L".   I realize there was some rationale that some packages were super
special, but that seems not to really make sense any more.  And, with
binary package mnagagers, the notion that people will see them seems
dubious.

So I think we should move towards deprecating MESSAGE, except perhaps in
very limited circumstances where there is an articulated reason why it
really makes sense.