Re: Preserving binary packages

First, my comments address a world where DESTDIR is the only mode that
matters.

I agree that there should (at least) be an easy way to tell pkgsrc to
retain any binary packages that it might have created.  This includes
install, replace, and installation of dependencies.

I think it's far easier to have a variable then to expect people to type
different things.  And, having fewer targets (that users/scripts invoke)
makes writing scripts that behave sanely easier.

PKGSRC_KEEP_BIN_PKGS seems like a reasonable name.  In my view, this is
about making a link in /usr/pkgsrc/packages/All for a binary package
that would already have been created.

If one expands to thinking about the (shrinking in importance)
non-DESTDIR world, then PKGSRC_CREATE_BIN_PKGS would do similarly, but
also create binary packages when they weren't requested and weren't
going to be created anyway (install).

So I am 100% in favor of your patch.

I would also be inclined to make the default be yes, but that's a
separate matter.  While I can see the point that DESTDIR caused the same
commands to leave binary packages in ${PACKAGES} in circumstances that
they previously weren't, I think it almost always makes sense to keep
created packages, unless one is short on disk space.   I find that the
space to store binary packages is smallish compared to the size of
installed packages, so the short-on-space situation feels like an edge
case, not the norm.