Re: Preserving binary packages

On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 07:53:47PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
 > In May 2013, the default of preserving binary packages at package install
 > time was changed, from yes to no.

The historic default was no; the change was made to fix the regression
(caused by making destdir builds the default) that ordinary operations
without explicitly asking for a package caused unexpected and unwanted
binary packages to accumulate without bound.

Anyway, I agree with the proposal that this should be a setting; I was
talking about this with someone else two or three weeks ago. They had
a patch which I encouraged them to send in (don't think it happened)
that only needed to change one thing in one place... I forget exactly
what, not to mention who (I've been kind of distracted lately) but
maybe they'll see this and speak up.

Unrelatedly: I would like it if the package step used a .pkg_done
cookie instead of depending directly on the package file. As things
currently stand, if you run out of space (yes this still happens)
doing a large build of multiple packages, you can recover space by
deleting working trees (protected by .build_done/.install_done) but
you can't nuke the package files even once they've been installed, or
they get rebuilt and reinstalled. (And if you truncate the package
files, pkg_something is still run against them and gets angry.)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost