Re: Fixing catman pages

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 16:06:36 +0900, Jonathan Perkin
<jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:29:34 +0900, Jonathan Perkin

https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/1e43db1ed16b8d232001ec68f237a791afdff473

https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/de6ecbe53c452369475e9058542666bee864c3f2

>>>  This should have benefits regardless of catman issues, as mdocml is
>>>  much smaller than groff and is BSD licensed.
>>
>>How about change to install nroff from groff as `gnroff' instead,
>>same as other GNU packages?
>
>What would be the benefit of that?  That would be out of scope for the
>changes I've proposed, so I'd rather see that discussed separately if
>there is a reason for doing so.

Because your change means that nroff from mdocml is the default nroff in pkgsrc,
so I feel that nroff from mdocml should be kept as `nroff' and nroff from groff
should be renamed instead.

There is no 'nroff' from mdocml.  The utility is called 'mandoc', and
the tools infrastructure creates an nroff symlink to that.

I misread your patch as renaming nroff command instead of man page...sorry for
my mess...

`gnroff' is found in pkgsrc/mk/tools/tools.SunOS.mk, so isn't it so
specal naming?

That's just the GNU version present in some SunOS 5.11 distributions,
the 'nroff' on those systems is still the old SYSV one.

Yes, it is usual way to avoid conflict GNU version with other `nroff' commands.

--
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost