Re: Capability mismatch between gettext-lib and gettext-tools

On Thu, 02 May 2013 22:40:32 +0900, Martin Husemann
<martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 10:31:43PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
For example, try to use GIMP, much messages will be displayed in English.
We can see such situation with other applications, just OK, Cancel, or so on
will be translated.  It will discourage translation contributors...
yes of course, non-native speaker of English too.

Wow, a very good example.
Now, for the clueless like me: why is that happening?

Please also refer my first post of this thread:
* Complex applications require context based translations,
  i.e. one English sentence may be required to be displayed
  with different translated sentence by the context.
* Such capability is supported by GNU gettext 0.15 and later.
* NetBSD's gettext-lib is not a GNU's one, but it is supported.
  whereas gettext-tools is still GNU's 0.14.4, and not support it.
* Currently, pkgsrc will treat it based on capability of gettext-tools,
  so context based translations will be just dropped before passed to
  gettext-tools.
* result of message catalogue file will not contain context based
  translations, so all context based messages will be displayed
  in English.
I heard about Ubuntu v.s. NetBSD with GIMP, Japanized, v.s. almost in English,
pkgsrc should be using newer and much translated version than Ubuntu though.

I've committed small changes right now.
If you set _TOOLS_USE_PKGSRC.msgfmt=yes, gettext-tools from pkgsrc
will be used even if builtin gettext-tools exists, and all translations
should be enabled.

--
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost