serial pbulk: Re: suggestion: Host fly-off between pkgin and nih and subsequent official integration

On 4/17/2013 10:35, Thomas Klausner wrote:
Why not run multiple pbulk clients on the machine? That should help
parallelize.

It's definitely not a fair comparison.
Poudriere has been modified to copy a full world in a tmpfs, and then each slave nullmounts to it (creating a readonly copy, but then writable areas are tmpfs mounted to those).

So with one jail, slaves are created, destroyed, refreshed pretty much instantly in memory + swapcache versus the pbulk approach of unrolling a tarball. So it's not just a matter of adding slaves, but also improving resource use.

Basically I haven't had time to look at what needs improving, now if distbb is a better approach, or porting poudriere would even more attractive. Don't know.

I give you the configuration for pkgsrc is nowhere close to optimal and I can squeeze a lot more out of the machine.