Re: suggestion: Host fly-off between pkgin and nih and subsequent official integration

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, John Marino wrote:

> I suspect you probably misunderstood me.  Pkgsrc makes one jump
> through absurd hoops when building from source over a long period of
> time where the branch gets updated.  This is not a problem for FreeBSD
> ports, yet users are told that these updating issues are caused by
> users "misusing" pkgsrc.

I have been using FreeBSD ports and pkgsrc for years, and don't know
about the technique for building from updated FreeBSD ports tree that
does a better job with this (of installing new dependencies and
installing new dependent packages because they no longer work with new
dependencies). Can you share an example?

(By the way, FreeBSD ports will allow you to remove a dependency even
when a package still depends on it, with a warning but no extra
interaction.)