Re: suggestion: Host fly-off between pkgin and nih and subsequent official integration

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> wrote:
* On 2013-04-16 at 14:21 BST, John Marino wrote:
> For example, say I have a system populated with 2012Q4 packages.  If
> I point pkgin (for example) at a 2013Q1 repositority, will it
> seamlessly be able to graft in new packages from 2013Q1 even though
> dependency versions might be different?

Mostly, yes.  Any dependency issues are problems that need to be fixed
in pkgsrc anyway and are independent of the chosen upgrade tool.

Could you please example this? What kind of "dependency issues"?

Package renames are another cause of potential problems.

Last version of nih solves problems caused by package splits (A -> A1+A2) and joins (A1+A2->A) with a help of "fake" package used during installation time.