Re: suggestion: Host fly-off between pkgin and nih and subsequent official integration

On 4/16/2013 13:47, Jonathan Perkin wrote:

Yes, this is somewhat apples vs oranges.  pkgin is a wrapper around
the pkg_* tools, and uses information in the pkg_summary file
generated by bulk builds to provide an interface for
installing/upgrading packages from an URL.

So if both pkgin and nim are only wrappers for the pkg_* tools, does that mean they suffer from the same integrity issues that I see with "make replace" and "pkg-rolling_replace"?

Now I'm starting to wonder these package managers improve the situation for users that basically only build from source where the trunk branch is frequently pulled and the packages on the system are not guaranteed to be from the same set like you would see on a pkgsrc quarterly branch.

My main motivation for this thread was to address this problem, but now it's not clear these new tools do that.

John