Re: python25 removed

On 10/4/2012 09:11, Thomas Klausner wrote:

Good question.

pkgsrc itself currently has three packages that claim to only work
with python26, but these claims could of course be outdated (I haven't
checked them):

lang/py-psyco/Makefile:PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=      26
sysutils/salt/Makefile:PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=       26
textproc/py-pdf-parser/Makefile:PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=     26

Python org claims they will provide security fixes for it until
October 2013, but we can of course deprecate it earlier.

Does anyone know of a reason why it should stay?
  Thomas

After removing the PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED line of their makefiles, I was able to build sysutils/salt and textproc/py-pdf-parser with python 2.7 with no apparent issues. Those two package akefiles should be updated.

lang/py-psyco did indeed fail with python 2.7 with the errors:
c/mergepoints.c:242: error: `JUMP_IF_FALSE` undeclared here (not in a function) c/mergepoints.c:242: error: `JUMP_IF_TRUE` undeclared here (not in a function)

I went to the homepage (http://psyco.sourceforge.net/) which states:
"Psyco is unmaintained and dead. Please look at PyPy for the state-of-the-art in JIT compilers for Python." (!!)

So I propose that lang/py-psyco be removed, the other two packages have their restrictions lifted, and then remove python2.6 as well.

I think we should only have two versions of python in pkgsrc (2.x and 3.x) but I'll leave 3.1 alone for another day. :)

John