Re: python25 removed

On 10/4/2012 00:20, Thomas Klausner wrote:
Hi!

Just to let you know, I've just removed python25 from pkgsrc. It was
EOL'd upstream in October 2011, and indicated in March that it would
be removed from pkgsrc.

Please let me know if I've overlooked some necessary changes.

Thanks,
  Thomas

Hi Thomas,
After I mentioned last week that Python 25 was going away, a DragonFly user asked me on IRC what the justification for keeping Python26 in pkgsrc was. Apparently there is very little API difference between 2.6 and 2.7.x, and likely all packages that build for 2.6 would build for 2.7 (perhaps with minor tweaks in a very few cases).

I couldn't answer him, but I think it's a good question. What is the justification for python 2.6 especially given python 2.7.x will be a very long term version?

John