Re: licenses as packages

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Jan Danielsson
<jan.m.danielsson%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>   Did anyone ever consider making licenses into packages? (Analogous to
> the unix philosophy "everything is a file", from pkgsrc's perspective it
> would be something along the line of "everything is a package").

How would you describe the dependency of e.g. lang/gcc to license/gpl?
The normal pkgsrc behaviour would be to install dependencies
automatically. This is contrary to the idea of explicitly accepting
licenses. I don't know if pkgsrc currently has a mechanism to express
"I depend on that package, but I won't install it for you". So you'll
need some mechanism in license/gpl to block its installation until you
accept it. IMHO, all in all this does not gain very much compared to
the current situation.

--
Joern Clausen
http://thebloeg.blogspot.com/