Re: pkg/44713, brokennes of GNU patch

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 11:49:52PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 04:33:53PM +0100, Hans Rosenfeld wrote:
>  > > Hello. GNU patch fails to apply pkgsrc patches correctly (see
>  > > http://gnats.netbsd.org/44713).  Another problem is that latest versions
>  > > of GNU patch exit with error if files to be modified are read-only. This
>  > > happens very often with pkgsrc distfiles.
>  > >
>  > > In order to solve this problem I'd like to enable devel/nbpatch
>  > > unconditionally during bootstrap on Linux and Solaris.
>  > > Then close pkg/44713.
>  >
>  > I do regular bulk builds on Solaris 10u9 and OpenIndiana. I don't
>  > remember ever seeing any problem like this, using the gpatch provided by
>  > the system.
>
> It's Solaris, so it's probably a gnu patch from 1998 :-)

Not quite, but almost:
$ gpatch --version
patch 2.5.9
Copyright (C) 1988 Larry Wall

Anyway, if a newer version has problems, and we can't get them fixed, we
should check the version and reject it if its too new. We already reject
certain tools if they are too old, the same mechanism could be used.

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown