Re: pkg_install in base system again

On 7 November 2011 06:35, Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 02:38:06AM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:56:18PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>> > I'm not convinced that pkg_setup is the right way to go. I have a number
>> > of versions of NetBSD-current sitting around. Who will provide the binary
>> > package for those (always assuming that we've been convinced that it's
>> > the right thing to do?).
>>
>> The same person or bulk build who will provide the binary packages.
>> Or the person compiling them from source, if they will be compiled from
>> source.
>
> My point is that I can choose any point in time to use a snapshot of
> -current to build a system around. That is neither here nor there, as
> far as pkgsrc is concerned. But who will build a pkg_install for me in
> pkgsrc for me to download a binary package? And how can I be convinced of
> the provenance of that binary?

If you're using pkgsrc on -current then you're either building from
source, or using binary packages. If you're building from source then
pkg_setup could just run bootstrap, and if you're using binary
packages then you should be able to point pkg_setup to the same place
to install pkg_install.

> Well, no-one can convince me, and no-one is going to step up and build
> those binary packages, so please think of another way to do this that
> doesn't mean that I am beholden to someone else to enable my use of
> pkgsrc.

See above.