Re: gir file from gobject-introspection

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 04:14:02PM +0900, Ryo ONODERA wrote:
 > > (and if so, does it work to have one gobject-introspection package and
 > > e.g. both py25-gtk2 and py26-gtk2 packages?)
 >
 > I does not know py25-gtk2 and py26-gtk2, but gobject-introspection
 > depends on py??-cElementTree.
 > The gobject-introspection binary package that is generated with
 > a certain version of python does not work with another version of
 > python.
 >
 > For example, If python25 is installed, gobject-introspection
 > binary package that is generated with python26 cannot be
 > installed.
 >
 > $ sudo pkg_add gobject-introspection-0.10.8-with-py26.tgz
 > pkg_add: no pkg found for 'py26-cElementTree-[0-9]*', sorry.
 > pkg_add: Can't install dependency py26-cElementTree-[0-9]*
 > pkg_add: 1 package addition failed

If I have (for example) both python25 and python26 installed, and I
build gobject-introspection with python25, can I build a python26
version of one of the python packages that requires
gobject-introspection, like py-gobject, and expect it to work?

That would create the following dependency tree:

   py26-gobject -> gobject-introspection -> py25-cElementTree -> python25
           \                         \
            -> python26               -> python25

Is this workable or will it break horribly?

This depends I guess on how gobject-introspection is supposed to be
used and how it uses python; if it runs python independently of its
caller it ought to work, but if doing this will try to load python25
modules into python26 (or vice versa) then it'll break horribly.

If the answer is "break horribly" then we should probably hack it up
to be a python-version-dependent package, i.e.
py25-gobject-introspection and py26-gobject-introspection.

In that case even if only one gobject-introspection package can be
installed at once it will at least not blow up. (Plus, maybe it could
be fixed eventually to allow multiple versions to coexist...)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost