Re: Making it easier to get and use pkgsrc

[Side note, tangent to this thread, but as sysinst keeps getting mentioned...]

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 01:54:21AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> For non NetBSD pkgsrc users there should be a simple easy way to
> get setup on pkgsrc. I think sysinst should just call this same method.

I disagree. What I would do is: add the latest stable pkgsrc branch
source tar ball as an additional set to the releng-build official
distributions. Sysinst will offer this, just like it offers source.tgz.

Of course if you install more than a few months later, that source will
already been outdated - but as a source user, I'd expect the user to deal
(i.e. update by whatever means they prefer).

Beyound this, sysinst should only deal with binary packages. (And it should
do that well, because it is what most folks trying to do a quick setup
will end up using.)

Martin