Re: Making it easier to get and use pkgsrc

David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On 11 December 2010 23:59, David Holland
> <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 08:14:26PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>>  > - Switch from mk.conf to pkgsrc.conf
>>
>> I'm not sure this is a good idea. On the one hand, it avoids needing
>> the magic knowledge that pkgsrc is make-based; on the other hand, you
>> have to know that to do anything with pkgsrc. I think if we're going
>> to move to something that advertises itself specifically as pkgsrc
>> configuration that it should be restricted to configuration statements
>> that make sense for pkgsrc and not necessarily be an arbitrary make
>> fragment... but that would cause regressions if we aren't careful.
>>
>> However, I do tend to think that things should be self-contained and
>> that the *base system*'s build should use $(TOP)/mk.conf (or maybe
>> $(TOP)/config.mk, but within the tree) rather than a file in /etc.
>
> A file under PKGSRCDIR would make me happy - I'm less concerned about the name

I don't like it under PKGSRCDIR, it doesn't belong there.
I can (and I do) have several pkgsrc trees in the same file names space
operating fine with the same LOCALBASE using the same mk.conf.
mk.conf belongs to deployment not the pkgsrc tree.

I don't think that $(TOP)/mk.conf is good idea either.

BTW, same should apply to pkgchk.conf, perhaps I should file PR on that.
It is annoying that pkg_chk defaults to configuration and cache/index files
in PKGSRCDIR.

--
HE CE3OH...