Re: wireless network detection/processing in net/gkrellm-wireless help needed

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:45:53 +0700
Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:

> I assume there is some nice interface ioctl that wireless interfaces
> support, and others don't, that could be used to apply to any random
> interface name (getting the list of interfaces is not an issue) and
> which would only work for 802.11 interfaces (even if it works for just
> most 802.11 it would be considerably better than what we currently have.)

I don't personally have much experience with wireless networking,
(especially not on NetBSD), but in case it can help, what I currently
see is sys/net80211/ieee80211_ioctl.c (ieee80211_ioctl(9) says that the
interface it provides is the same as wi(4) and generic for use by the
various wireless ethernet drivers, and indeed wi.c appears to delegate
to ieee80211_ioctl(9) itself).

The SIOCG80211 ioctl in particular invokes ieee80211_ioctl_get80211()
which supports a number of IEEE80211_IOC_ prefixed commands, some of
which might provide the needed information (from there I can't help
much without reading more about how 808.11 itself works, and checking
what gkrellm itself needs, however)...

Note that I'm not subscribed to this list, but was requested to reply
here.  Thanks for working on this, I'm a gkrellm user myself and might
eventually also benefit :)
--
Matt