Re: ld --as-needed (math/gnumeric110 has unnecessary dependencies)

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 01:49:14PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
 > > should not show curses. When did this get reverted, or was it never
 > > true in NetBSD ELF and I just didn't notice?
 >
 > It was never true with shared linkage AFAIK.

Hrm. If you say so. I remember when it was fixed in Linux (a long time
ago) and that there was some pathological ELF problem it was needed to
(partially?) address, but not what any more.

 > > Anything this breaks is wrong. (It's the same principle as always
 > > including header files you need and not relying on someone else
 > > exposing them for you.)
 >
 > Depends. It can change the behavior if constructors are involved or if
 > you are using dlopen.

But it has the same behavior in these respects as static linkage,
which seems consistent with least surprise.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost