Re: handling moved configuration files

On Tue 26 Oct 2010 at 03:07:16 PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 08:56:30AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>>   Your example made me think, I could perhaps just add Dovecot 2.0 as a new
>>   mail/dovecot2 package (also since dovecot 1.x is still supported).
>>
>>   That will prevent issues with automated/unattended updates, and a warning
>>   MESSAGE will be sufficient.
>>
>> Seems ok, but really no one will want to have both installed, and they
>> will CONFLICT.  So starting dovecot-2.x via rc.d and having it upgrade
>> park would still be great (I like your rc.d idea).  That said, it's of
>> course not fair of me to tell you to write the code....  Plus, a
>> dovecot-2 with a warning and upgrade code later is still a big step
>> forward.
>

>I'm still considering both options, however my suggestion was in analogy
>with Postgresql, of which we also have several conflicting versions in
>pkgsrc.  The goal there is not to be able to install them in parallel, but
>give users the choice between (major) versions.  There are other examples
>in pkgsrc; apache, bind, mysql.

Whether you use two versions or not, I suggest not automatically
converting the config file to the config directory. It can play
havoc with any configuration management that may be in place.

My suggestion would be runtime log messages that say "no config,
see /etc/dovecot.d/README" where one could find instructions to
convert dovecot.conf to doveconf.d files.

The problem with a MESSAGE warning (not to say it shouldn't be
used), is it could easily go un-noticed.

--George