Re: handling moved configuration files

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 01:58:12PM -0700, George Georgalis wrote:
> Whether you use two versions or not, I suggest not automatically
> converting the config file to the config directory. It can play havoc
> with any configuration management that may be in place.
>
> My suggestion would be runtime log messages that say "no config, see
> /etc/dovecot.d/README" where one could find instructions to convert
> dovecot.conf to doveconf.d files.

There will never be "no config", as pkgsrc will install default config
files in the new location (as it should for new installations).  So
without manual intervention, dovecot will startup normally, but with a
different configuration than before.

Unless we deliberately break the default configuration so Dovecot won't
startup with it, but that's different from what we usually do.

An alternative is to make the rc.d script stop and print a message when
*both* configuration files exist.  That actually looks like an elegant
solution to me (works for both new and upgraded setups), but new rc.d
scripts are not installed automatically by default, are they?

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen%telenet.be@localhost  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F