Re: Does firefox 3.5 on netbsd-4/i386 work?

[moving thread from pkgsrc-users to tech-pkg]

The following happens on netbsd-4:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:40:35 +0100
Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> # ldd /usr/pkg/lib/xulrunner/xulrunner-bin | grep fontconf
>         -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/pkg/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
>         -lfontconfig.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1

I believe the problem is caused by run path ordering.
Usually the run path for pkgsrc binaries is /usr/pkg/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib,
but mozilla binaries get it the other way around, so the wrong
fontconfig library is picked up.

In the work log I see the following:

WARNING: [transform-gcc] passing unknown option -R/usr/X11R6/lib

It comes from gtk+-2.0.pc:

# pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0
-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -R/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,-R/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/pkg/...

Removing the "-R/usr/X11R6/lib" from the .pc file makes the duplicate
fontconfig reference go away in xulrunner. I guess this happens because
the pkgsrc wrappers don't pay attention to the -R flag, rendering any
ordering done behind the scene incomplete.

From the WARNING message I assume that fixing the .pc file is the
correct approach, but I'd like to hear a second opinion on this.

Also, could someone using native X11 on netbsd-5 please check if
libxul.so has the duplicate libfontconfig.so in ldd(1) output?
If so I think we need a recursive revbump on gtk2 after this is
fixed. :-(

Kind regards,
-Tobias