Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM, Michal Suchanek
<hramrach%centrum.cz@localhost> wrote:
> The hash git gives you is changeset hash (or something like that).

It depends on what hash you are talking about, as ~everything in git
is hashed. Most frequently, we are talking about a commit hash.

> This changes every time you reapply the changeset to a different repo
> or a different branch of the same repo and has nothing to do with file
> hashes.

false, in a typical push case when you fast-forward your local branch,
the remote commit hash will stay the same. The commit hash will only
change if you change the commit's history, eg, if you rebase a branch
or cherry-pick a single commit.

> However, you can always make a hash of your file, and if you do
> automagic expansion of stuff in the file might get in the way.

that's why I don't see any reason to have expandable stuff. If CVS
user are not happy, too bad for them, I don't care.

 - Arnaud