Re: git copies of cvs modules available

2009/10/29 Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar%gmail.com@localhost>:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Greg A. Woods <woods%planix.ca@localhost>
> wrote:
>> ..., humans
>> usually just want to see if the IDs are the same or not, perhaps with
>> some hint as to their relationship in time if they're not.
> well, as an heavy git user, what I want to know is if the source I'm
> looking at are the same as the one who has an issue with the source.
> With a SHA1, no matter on which repo I'll look at, I will have this
> guarantee (minus an improbable collision). CVS doesn't provide this
> basic guarantee that 2 same filename with the same CVS number check
> out at different time are the same (data corruption or malicious
> change). That is a serious flaw.

The hash git gives you is changeset hash (or something like that).
This changes every time you reapply the changeset to a different repo
or a different branch of the same repo and has nothing to do with file
hashes.

However, you can always make a hash of your file, and if you do
automagic expansion of stuff in the file might get in the way.

Thanks

Michal