Re: A sad case

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 04:03:24PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> >From: Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
> >
> >That's certainly reasonable, but I think the word ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES is
> >already case sensitive, along with everything else, and this is not
> >routinely pointed out.
> [...]
> >
> >Perhaps a resolution is to have an error target when the license check
> >fails that does case-insensitive compares and issues a helpful message.
>
> +1

That seems like an excessive amount of work to do for such a small thing.

I also strongly believe that fixing the cause is the way to proceed here.

I'll repeat my question to dillo here (not because I believe everyone is
stupid, but because it may have been missed in my previous reply) - what's
the driving force for having license names that are case-sensitive? I can
just see it aggravating users (and myself) for no benefit at all. Sorry for
repeating myself, but I don't get the reasons, which is why I'm having such
a hard time understanding it all.

Thanks,
Alistair