Re: Option to trim packages

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Matthias Scheler wrote:
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:48:48AM +1200, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
It seems to me that there is a class of package that provides libraries for
other packages that could be trimmed somehow.

I think this is the wrong approach. We should IMHO teach package source.
create multiple packages from one directory in "pkgsrc". If you e.g. run
"make install" in "pkgsrc/x11/gtk2+" you would automatically get (at
least) three package: gtk2+-libs, gtk2+-devel and gtk2+-demos. It should
of cource be possible to install the binary packages seperately.

Agreed.

This is for example how RPM works as well.

Would making parts of the PLIST work for this? Maybe add a variable to
PLIST_VARS?

Yes, the package lists should define what file goes into which package.

So something like PKG_MULTIPLE_PLIST=libs devel demos and then PLIST.libs PLIST.devel and PLIST.demos It would easy to have a mk.conf option which combined the PLISTs and made one monolithic package (as now) - probably even on by default for compatibility.

--
Stephen