Re: Option to trim packages

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:48:48AM +1200, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> It seems to me that there is a class of package that provides libraries for
> other packages that could be trimmed somehow.

I think this is the wrong approach. We should IMHO teach package source.
create multiple packages from one directory in "pkgsrc". If you e.g. run
"make install" in "pkgsrc/x11/gtk2+" you would automatically get (at
least) three package: gtk2+-libs, gtk2+-devel and gtk2+-demos. It should
of cource be possible to install the binary packages seperately.

This is for example how RPM works as well.

> Would making parts of the PLIST work for this? Maybe add a variable to
> PLIST_VARS?

Yes, the package lists should define what file goes into which package.

        Kind regards