Option to trim packages

Hi all,
I've noticed that some packages install lots of files for supporting software development that are not needed on most production servers. An example is databases/db4. My Solaris build of it contains 41MB of files, only 4.5MB of which is even usable at runtime. OpenSSL is similar, but smaller all round.

It seems to me that there is a class of package that provides libraries for other packages that could be trimmed somehow. I don't want to go down the Linux route of making people install a separate -devel package any time they want to do something useful, but I would like to give sysadmins the ability to build lightweight binary packages for deployment on production servers.

Would making parts of the PLIST work for this? Maybe add a variable to
PLIST_VARS?

Cheers,
Lloyd