Re: pkgsrc performance

Quentin Garnier wrote:
Before we jump the gun, I think we should have a try to see how much of
a difference it does, performance-wise.  From just modding glib2's
bl3.mk file, I know that pcre's bl3.mk files is included about 3 times
less according to ktrace, when running make in gnome-control-center.
But I haven't measured the time it takes.

Also, it gains very little to modify the bl3.mk files that don't include
any other, which I think is a big part of them, so we can concentrate on
those who include other bl3.mk files first.

I intend to have a try at descending the include tree from
gnome-control-center and see how much of an impact each level makes.
Could the buildlink3.mk including not be combined with the simplification
of the DEPENDS variable format as dicussed in the
"enforcing pkgsrc/category/$PKGBASE" thread?

E.g. the bmake infrastructure on seeing a simple "category/pkgname"
dependency could check if a buildlink3.mk file exists there and load
it (if it has not yet been loaded) etc. For me, the culprit is that instead
of declaring the dependency and later evaluating/checking all the dependencies,
the corresponding buildlink3.mk is immediately included with ".include".
Can't we decouple that?