Re: Solaris packages not working quite right

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 02:05:24PM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been using pkgsrc and gensolpkg to build Solaris packages for a little
> while now and I've finally come across the problem I was expecting to find
> as soon as I started.
>
> gensolpkg doesn't copy the package installation scripts from the tgz file
> into the Solaris format package. Are the semantics of the pkgsrc install
> scripts well defined, and can I expect them to work on Solaris? I'm testing
> with apache22, which does a fair amount of work in its install scripts.

The author of gensolpkg is a bozo, and did not do this properly when he
wrote gensolpkg.

In my defence, I seem to remember that the SVR4 packages have a pre
and post install and de-install, and at the time, we didn't have all
of those in pkgsrc.  I then stopped working with Solaris, and so
gensolpkg fell by the wayside.  If there's someone who would like to
take up its maintenance, please just say - it would be great to have
it looked after properly.

Thanks,
Alistair