p5-* modules and DEPEND for tests

Hi,

I am about to take the maintainership of some more perl modules. Right
now I see something inconsistent happening in pkgsrc. Some Perl modules
do included all the modules which are needed for successful tests in
their Makefile and some don't.

I found some PRs (like pkg/36504) which show that there seems to be a
need for testing from a system administators point of view. Since we
pkgsrc developer can't test all the Perl modules to ensure that they
are fully functional it might be a good thing to include the modules for
testing in the Makefiles.

The pkgsrc guide doesn't mention this kind of problem and I think in
order to get a consistent way of building and installing Perl modules
this should be clarified.

In order to keep dependencies short I would like to exclude all the
DEPENDS for testing the modules, mabye we should make use of the options
framework to activate them.

so the options.mk would just include

PKG_OPTIONS_VAR=    PKG_OPTIONS.<pkg>
PKG_SUPPORTED_OPTIONS=  testsuite
PKG_SUGGESTED_OPTIONS=

.if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mtestsuite)
DEPENDS+=   p5-Test-Simple:...........
.endif

This would however flood pkgsrc with lots of options.mk files. So a
different approach might be needed.

Any suggestions on this?

Regards
Uli

--
Ulrich Habel                         NetBSD pkgsrc - your gcc screensaver
rhaen%NetBSD.org@localhost