Re: pkg_add and remote packages

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:10:04PM +0200, Dieter Baron wrote:
>   If we required a up-to-date pkg_summary, you could use this to
> extract the dependency tree before fetching anything.  This would also
> catch wether the package or one of its dependencies would cause
> conflicts with the currently installed packages and abort early.  I
> think this is the way we should eventually go.

Yes, but it is a separate problem. At least Hubert complained about
forcing a 1 MB download before installing any packages.

>   Just a random thought (don't know how practical/efficient/useful it
> is): You could abort the data connection after you fetched the
> metadata and found missing dependencies, then refetch afterwards
> (possibly resuming where you left off).

I thought about that and it is something I want to do in the
future. It doesn't work nicely with the way we deal with dependencies at
the moment though (by using fork and exec).

Joerg