Re: pkg_add and remote packages

> On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 10:47:48PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 >> IMHO using library for this kind of tasks is a very serious design BUG.
 >> This is absolutely obvious. Proxies, unusual
 >> protocols for fetching (CIFS/smbclient for example),
 >> p2p networks, etc. etc. etc.

> You know how pkg_add interacts with ftp(1)?  That is not exactly a
> protocol to replicate with different backend. The biggests problem
> with using external programs here is that it creates chicken-and-egg
> problems
Ok. For non-NetBSD platforms using libftp_and_http
seems reasonable default.
But you should keep a way to set a program for fetching by config file
or environment.

chicken and eggs problem in general is solved easily:
    bootstrap --prefix /path/to/my/addons.
where sudo/pax or whatever may be installed.
I (and I guess you too) use this method for running bulk buils.
But I agree, this was is not very suitable
for fetching pkgsrc binary packages (it's too heavy).

> like we already have for other parts of the bootstrap packages. E.g. how do
> you update nbpax on !NetBSD? Proxies are a bad example, they are a
> standard interface and supported by any decent HTTP library.
No. I guess M$'s proxy are not supported.
My company used it several years ago. I forgot its name.
But I had lots of troubles with it with Interix and interopsystems
ftp:// repository of packages.

> Unusual protocols are exactly that. Why use smbclient if you can
> just mount the filesystem etc.
I dont's use NetBSD in windows environment and don't use its smb.
But I know _exactly_ that Linux's smbfs.ko I'm using
have some problems. Though, I didn't use cifs.ko and fuse implementations.
Smbclient as a fetching program may be reasonable,
especially for those platforms that don't support smb mounting
and fuse. Do not forget, smbclient is JUST EXAMPLE.

> I don't say it doesn't make sense to
> support external programs for this kind of operations,
Good, please provide a way to use external executable via
config or environment or somehow.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.