Re: Multiple/Split Master Sites?

In article <47D2E77F.5080704%Bullers.Net@localhost> Jon wrote:
: Aleksej Saushev wrote:

: >> I would like to use a previous version of the package being
: >> built to build the next version.  Something along the lines of
: >> "chroot lang/sbcl/work; pkg_add sbcl-X.X.X.tgz, although it is
: >> much more likely to just untar the package in the work
: >> directory, or maybe in work/buildtools or some such.
: >
: > Which is perfectly solved by "make update", if it is fixed.

: I suspect the solution I made above (which was recommended by some of
: the pkgsrc infrastructure developers) will be considered more desirable
: than changing "make update" although I think I prefer that solution as
: well, even though it depends (a bit too much for my taste) on
: circularity and side effects to work.

  That would have been me.  If a package cannot be built unless it is
already installed, that package is broken, as it breaks a number of
pkgsrc's key assumptions (like reproduceable builds).  And no amount
of arguing is going to change that.

: >> This requires a few changes.  First, a master site for the
: >> binary package that can be fetched based on OS/arch, and second
: >> the ability to fetch the source from a different master site.
: >> An alternative would be to add some bootstrap fetching,
: >> building, and updating targets to the makefile, which is sort of
: >> what wip/sbcl-boot was for.  But why reinvent the wheel?  Those
: >> bootstrapping tools are exactly the same as the package we are
: >> trying to build.
: >
: > There're not that many self-bootstrapping software around,
: > having the special treatment in the whole framework isn't required
: > that much.

: Well, the master site is already there, it's called
: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/ along with its mirrors.  And
: you are correct, I can only think of 2 packages off the top or my head
: that need this, which is why I have not made much effort at all to
: change any pkgsrc infrastructure to assist this.  It is simply too much
: risk to all the other packages for not enough benefit to these two packages.

: However, the reason for my message in the first place was to see if that
: functionality was already present and undocumented, or if someone could
: think of a way to work around it.  The answer still appears to be "No".

  IIRC, SITES.<filename-of-distfile> overrides MASTER_SITES for a
particular file.  That failing, you can set MASTER_SITES to point both
to the original download site and to the packages directory.  That
will search both files in both places, which is neither elegant nor
efficient, but should work.

                                        yours,
                                        dillo