Re: Reducing the number of patches in pkgsrc

  To make things easier in the future, I'd like to have a variable
  SEND_PATCHES_TO in the package Makefiles, so that the patch authors

That sounds sensible, following HOMEPAGE.

It might also make sense to have a machine-parseable format for
recording upstream tracking status in patch files, or to record that it
is a pkgsrc change (e.g., examples/conf file installation).  Then
pkglint could warn when there isn't a recorded status for a patch.

The hard part is probably that some upstreams aren't really interested
in taking patches to fix problems from pkgsrc, or are overwhelmed.
But we might as well do our part and try to reduce where we can.