Subject: Re: realplayer
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/22/2001 22:40:10
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> Are there any known issues with realplayer under -current?
> It only works about 1 out of three times for me, and locks
> up pretty badly the other 2 times.

I have also had bad luck. It works only 10-percent of the time for me,
but
I am not using -current.

Also, when I installed that latest package, it gave me a signal 11 and
crashed my X11 a few times. From my journal (14/Feb/2001):
 Tried to install realplayer (from pkgsrc). Blackbox died with Signal 11.
Third time I started X as superuser, but still recieved Signal 11. This
occurred after choosing "cancel" and then "exit" for the mime types.
Installed by copying files/realplay.sh to work/ and edited it to point to
/usr/pkg/lib/Realplayer8; then did "make do-install" and then "make
post-install" (old version still installed under
/usr/pkg/lib/RealPlayer7/). It doesn't work too good -- sometimes hangs.
---

I didn't do a send-pr (yet), because of the signal 11 -- I may have some
hardware/memory problem.

> If there is any special magic required, please pass it on.

I'd also like to know :)

I sure look forward to a truly open audio and video alternative ... maybe
Ogg Vorbis.

> On a related note, how do I access archives of maillist
> articles on tech-pkg stuff, etc.? I don't see it in the
> web page.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/

   Jeremy C. Reed