Re: Question about NetBSD implementation of IPv6 SLAAC and RFC4941

    Date:        Tue, 7 Apr 2020 22:33:45 +0100
    From:        Roy Marples <roy%marples.name@localhost>

  | We're at the point where something in userland needs to solicit an RA to
  | guarantee connectivity ASAP

It is not difficult to have the kernel send an RS when an interface
comes up.   It would be a bit more difficult (I suppose, haven't tried)
to do it properly, with random delays and all that (my environment doesn't
benefit from that - I don't have lots of systems all starting at the same
time, as in after power to a whole bunch of systems is switched on).
Similarly, my environment is quiet enough that the RS doesn't get lost
in practice, so I also survive without any kind of retry.   Eliminate
all that and an RS is just a very boring multicast (destination) ICMPv6
packet (not really any different from the DaD packets that are sent).

kre